Type specimen pamphlet collection
Scope and Contents
The Type specimen pamphlet collection consists of promotional pamphlets for typefaces which were issued by type foundries to show typefaces' character sets, different weights or variations, and ideas for usage. North American and European typefaces are included in the collection, such as those from American Type Founders Corporation, Intertype, and International Typeface Corporation in the United States; Monotype Corporation Ltd. in the United Kingdom; Deberny et Peignot in France; Società Nebiolo Torino in Italy; and D. Stempel AG and Bauer in Germany.
- 1930 - 1980
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to researchers.
16 Linear Feet (8 drawers, 496 folders)
The collection consists of nearly 500 type specimen pamphlets from North American and European type foundries.
The collection is organized alphabetically in folders by the name of the typefaces. Each folder is marked by three letters, which represent the first three letters of any typeface name, since many faces could share similar names. For instance the typefaces "Trajan" and "Trajanus" would both be filed in the "TRA" folder.
Several professors in the RIT School of Print Media assembled the specimen pamphlet collection during the mid- to late-twentieth century, for use in teaching typesetting and typography.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
A donation from Archibald Provan, circa 2000, forms the bulk of the collection. Additional specimens have since been added.
Collection processed by Cary staff, date unknown. Finding aid encoded from catalog record by Ella von Holtum in April 2020.
- American Type Founders Company
- Bauer Type Foundry
- D. Stempel AG Typefoundry
- Fonderies Deberny & Peignot
- Foundry type
- Graphic arts -- France -- History -- 20th century
- Graphic arts -- Germany -- History -- 20th century
- Graphic arts -- Great Britain -- History -- 20th century
- Graphic arts -- Italy -- History -- 20th century
- Graphic arts -- United States -- History -- 20th century
- International Typeface Corporation
- Intertype Corporation
- Monotype Corporation
- Trade literature -- France -- Specimens
- Trade literature -- Germany -- Specimens
- Trade literature -- Great Britain -- Specimens
- Trade literature -- Italy -- Specimens
- Trade literature -- United States -- Specimens
- Type and type-founding
- Type and type-founding -- France -- Specimens
- Type and type-founding -- Germany -- Specimens
- Type and type-founding -- Great Britain -- Specimens
- Type and type-founding -- Italy -- Specimens
- Type and type-founding -- United States -- Specimens
- Type specimens
- Type specimen pamphlet collection
- Cary Graphic Arts Collection
- In Progress
- Ella von Holtum
- April 2020
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description