Melbert B. Cary Jr. collection
Scope and Contents
The Melbert B. Cary Jr. collection consists of material by and about Mr. Cary, including offprints of writings about him and his press and by him on type and playing cards from American and German journals (1928-1938), and information about his playing card collection in the Yale University Library (1937-1986). Also included are Cary's copies of Yale alumni books with addresses of his classmates (1926 and 1936), photographs of him and him with his mother Julia Metcalf Cary, a get-well card designed by Fritz Kredel and signed by members of the Typophiles (1941), and a letter of introduction for Hans Alexander Müller to Arthur W. Rushmore (1937). Box 2 contains writings by Cary's father, Melbert B. Cary Sr., on the Connecticut state constitution (1895-1901).
- 1895 - 1986
- Cary, Melbert Brinckerhoff (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to researchers
Biographical information on Melbert B. Cary
Melbert Brinkerhoff Cary Jr. (1892-1941) was born in New York, educated at Groton School and Yale University (Class of 1916), and died in New York. He was director of Continental Type Founders Association, president of the American Institute of Graphic Arts, and proprietor of the private Press of the Woolly Whale.
.63 Linear Feet (2 boxes)
The collection contains material by and about Melbert B. Cary Jr., and includes writings, scholarship on type and playing cards, Yale alumni books, photographs, correspindence, as well as writings by Melbert B. Cary Sr.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of the Mary Flagler Cary Charitable Trust, 1969; gift of Edward S. Bentley, 1974; gift of Judith Kredel Brown, 1987.
Collection was processed by Cary staff, date unknown. Finding aid was encoded by Ella von Holtum in April 2020.
- Cary, Julia Metcalf, 1856-1930
- Cary, Mary Flagler
- Connecticut -- Constitution
- Connecticut -- Politics and government
- Graphic arts -- United States -- History -- 20th century
- Kredel, Fritz
- Müller, Hans Alexander, 1888-1962
- Playing cards -- Private collections
- Press of the Woolly Whale
- Printers -- New York (N.Y.)
- Publishers and publishing -- United States
- Rushmore, Arthur W., 1883-1955
- Typophiles (New York, N.Y.)
- Melbert B. Cary Jr. collection
- Cary Graphic Arts Collection
- In Progress
- Ella von Holtum
- April 2020
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description