Robert Panara Commemorative Stamp collection
Collection — Box: 1
Scope and Contents
The Robert Panara Commemorative Stamp collection contains primarily printed memorabilia from a 2007 First Day of Issue ceremony for the Robert Panara Commemorative Stamp. This stamp was issued by the U.S. Postal Service as part of the "Distinguished Americans" series. The collection is a complete assemblage of the Stamp Ceremony Memento package, including stamp sheet, program, envelopes, and framed stamps.
- 11 April 2017
- United States Postal Service (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to researchers.
Biographical / Historical
The first Deaf faculty member at NTID, and a key figure in its history, Robert Panara was hired in 1967 to assist in establishing NTID on RIT's campus. He was instrumental in planning NTID's curriculum and preparing RIT's staff with ASL classes. He taught English at NTID and founded the Drama Club in 1970, which has grown into a full performing arts program with numerous productions yearly in the theater at NTID named in his honor. It was at the celebration of NTID's 20th anniversary in 1988 that the Robert F. Panara Theatre was dedicated. Panara is recognized as one of the founders of the National Theatre of the Deaf. He was the only deaf member of the National Advisory Board, and the first NTID faculty member. He was also awarded the RIT Founders Award for his lifetime of achievement and devoted service to RIT. Panara retired from NTID in 1987. Robert Panara died in 2014 at the age of 94.
1 Box(es) (Lid box)
Complete assemblage of the commemorative stamp package to honor Robert Panara. Panara was a teacher in the field of Deaf Studies and taught at the National Technical Institute for the Deaf from 1967 until 1987. The collection contains programs, envelopes, a stamp sheet, and a framed stamp presentation.
This collection is contained mostly in one folder, with the oversized framed piece sharing a box with that folder.
C.S. North, Shelf 232
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The collection was purchased for the RIT Archive Collections by Joan Naturale in April 2017.
Accession number(s): 2017:019
Accession number(s): 2017:019
Finding aid created by Ella von Holtum in May 2017.
- Commemorative postage stamps -- United States
- Deaf -- Education (Higher) -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Deaf -- History
- Deaf -- Means of communication
- Deaf, Theater for the -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Lang, Harry G.
- National Technical Institute for the Deaf
- National Technical Institute for the Deaf -- History
- Rochester Institute of Technology. National Technical Institute for the Deaf. NTID Performing Arts
- Teachers of the deaf
- Robert Panara Commemorative Stamp collection
- RIT/NTID Deaf Studies Archive
- Ella von Holtum
- 9 May 2017
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note