Alexander Bennett Metaproject collection
Collection — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents
The Alexander Bennett Metaproject Collection includes notes, preliminary drawings, 4" models, 1/4-scale and full-size models, and a full-sized prototype of The Invitation Chair by Herman Miller.
- Bennett, Alexander (Designer, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to researchers.
Biographical / Historical
The Metaproject competition was developed by RIT professor Josh Owen in partnership with an industry sponsor to encourage students to produce design that "is semantically correct, and pragmatically understandable, but also visually powerful, intellectually elegant and timeless." In the case of Metaproject 04, in collaboration with Herman Miller, the students were given the task of building and enhancing relationships in the workspace.
9 Linear Feet (3 chairs, 1 flat box, 2 small boxes)
The Alexander Bennett Metaproject collection consists of all the process work for the development of The Invitation Chair, and a book which describes Metaproject 04 and all the student designs.
1/4-scale models are in two boxes, full size model and prototypes on shelves. Paper records are stored seperately.
Archives Storage Room 3515 (full size prototypes), CS North 408 (small and partial prototypes), CS North 410 (paper materials)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The collection was donated to RIT Archive Collections by Andrew Bennett in May 2014. Accession number(s): 2014:039, 2015:035
- Metaproject 04 / Rochester Institute of Technology School of Design. Rochester, NY: Rochester Institute of Technology, 2011.
Finding aid created by Lisa Witt in June 2014.
- Academic-industrial collaboration
- Butler, Owen
- Drawings (visual works)
- Industrial design -- Competitions -- New York (State)
- Industrial design -- Study and teaching -- New York (State)
- Model (concept)
- New products -- Design and construction
- Owen, Josh (1970-)
- Product design -- Study and teaching -- New York (State)
- Rochester Institute of Technology. School for American Crafts
- Rochester Institute of Technology. School of Design
- Seating (Furniture) -- Design -- Competitions -- New York (State) -- Rochester
- Alexander Bennett Metaproject collection
- RIT Archive Collections
- Lisa Witt
- 05 June 2014
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note