Skip to main content

J. E. Mock portrait collection

 Collection — Box: 1-2
Identifier: RITArc-0049

Scope and Contents

The J. E. Mock portrait collection contains 50 portraits of members of the Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute's (RAMI) Board of Trustees, as well as of several prominent Rochesterians. Most of the portraits are 8×11 black and white photographs, though 11 of the photographs are 5×8. The collection also includes a painted portrait of Sol Heumann that is based on a photograph taken by Mock.

Dates

  • circa 1910-1940

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open to researchers.

Biographical / Historical

Joseph Ernest Mock (1867-1944) was born to Carl and Mary Anna (née Bader) Mock on November 19, 1867. Although he was born in Fessenheim, a village located in the Alsace region of France, the area was under German control for most of his childhood. Mock started his education in public school before attending the St. Joseph's Institute at Matzenheim where he studied music and art. In 1884, at the age of 16, Mock immigrated to the United States.

Upon arriving in the U.S., Mock began working with Robert Furman, a prominent photographer in the Rochester area. By 1887 he opened his own studio that permanently moved to the Sibley block of Rochester in 1904. Mock earned a reputation as a talented photographer and portrait painter and received several awards for his creations. He was a member of the Photographers Association of America, the local Photographers' Association, and the Professional Photographers Society of New York for which he served as president in 1915, 1921, and 1922.

Mock was also involved in the Rochester community. He was a member of the Rochester Chamber of Commerce, belonged to the Knights of Columbus, and played as the organist at St. Francis Xavier's Roman Catholic Church for many years. On August 21, 1890, Mock married Rosa Armbruster with whom he had three daughters. He died on September 6, 1944.

Extent

2.5 Linear Feet (2 lid boxes)

Language

English

Overview

Photograph portraits of members of the Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute's (RAMI) Board of Trustees and of prominent Rochesterians. RAMI changed its name to the Rochester Institute of Technology in 1944. The portraits were taken by Joseph Ernest Mock, a prominent photographer in the Rochester area.

Arrangement

This collection is currently unprocessed. The portraits are spread between two boxes with the 5x8 images being grouped together.

Physical Location

C.S. Mid-Range, Shelf 59, Oversize Boxes 15-16

Other Finding Aids

In addition to this finding aid, an inventory is available below. For more information, please contact the RIT Archive Collections.

J. E. Mock Studio portrait collection

Related Materials

Processing Information

Finding aid created by Lara Nicosia in January 2011.
Title
J. E. Mock portrait collection
Subtitle
RIT Archives
Status
Published
Author
Lara Nicosia
Date
04 January 2011
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the RIT Archive Collections Repository

Contact:
RIT Libraries
Wallace Center
90 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester NY 14623 USA
(585) 475-4613