Skip to main content

RIT College of Fine and Applied Arts records

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: RITArc-0492

Scope and Contents

This collection consists of various documents and news clippings pertaining to programs related to Art and Design at RIT.

Boxes 53 and 53a contain documents such as:

  1. 1939-1973 revision proposals to the Horn Art Aptitude Inventory
  2. 1952 student schedule/receipt cards
  3. Admissions criteria examples
  4. Announcements, office memos, course/program descriptions, receipts
  5. A booklet of drawings by art students of the Mechanics Institute, featured in the Duffy Powers
  6. Circulars (1904-1917)
  7. Faculty/administration lists and 1972 faculty biographies
  8. Information on prize competitions
  9. Promotional materials for the school
  10. Promotional materials of student and faculty exhibitions from 1894-2000s
  11. Publications (i.e. 1958 issue of Print – national graphic design magazine)
  12. Student portfolio examples

Boxes 68 and 68a contain documents such as:

  1. Administrative papers (1963-1974)
  2. Arts and Crafts In Retrospect in RIT’s 150th anniversary
  3. Cut paper animals acquired on a department trip to China in 1978
  4. Film program and Film Art Series (1965-1966)
  5. Fine and Applied Arts faculty directory (1985)
  6. National Association of Schools of Art: reports, evaluations, accreditation procedures (1965-1980)

Dates

  • 1885-2011

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open to researchers.

Historical Information: College of Fine and Applied Arts

The Fine Arts Department was established soon after the merging of the Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute in 1902, although training in drawing and design was offered at the Mechanics Institute since 1885. Students experienced artistic, as well as practical training in designing for every form of applied art – such as architecture, advertising, illustration, and design. The Applied Arts (later becoming the School of Art and Design) became one of the most popular components of the first curriculum. This was, at least partially, due to the fact that it was the first program considered to be truly established for both female and male students at a time when institutions of higher education across the nation were reluctant about deciding to include women in their programs at all. The second division of the College of Fine and Applied Arts was the School for American Craftsmen. The college eventually merged into the College of Graphic Arts and Photography, later becoming the present College of Imaging Arts and Sciences.

Extent

4 Box(es) (This collection contains 38 folders divided into four document boxes.)

Language

English

Overview

Materials related to the operations of the College of Fine and Applied Arts (CFAA) at Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT). CFAA was officially established in 1960, although courses in art and design had been offered since the establishment of the early Mechanics Institute and Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute. The collection includes correspondence, office memos, promotional materials, prize competition information, course/program information, media clippings, and other related materials.

Arrangement

This collection is organized in chronological order.

Physical Location

C.S. South, Shelf 788, Boxes 53-53a
C.S. South, Shelf 792, Boxes 68-68a

Processing Information

Finding aid created by Allison Thompson in January 2014.
Title
RIT College of Fine and Applied Arts records
Subtitle
RIT Archives
Status
Published
Author
Allison Thompson
Date
13 January 2014
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the RIT Archive Collections Repository

Contact:
RIT Libraries
Wallace Center
90 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester NY 14623 USA
(585) 475-4613