Unpublished manuscript by Mark Ellingson
Collection — Folder: 1
Scope and Contents
Unpublished manuscript by Mark Ellingson about the Rochester Institute and Mechanics Institute chronicles a history of the Mechanics Institute and its students, as well as information about the Institute’s relationship with the community, the programs offered, curriculum information, statistics on enrollment and policies and procedures through 1937.
- Ellingson, Mark (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to researchers.
Biographical / Historical
Mark Ellingson came to the Mechanics Institute in 1926 as a professor of economics. In 1936 Ellingson was appointed president of the Mechanics Institute. During his 36 year tenure, he increased enrollment and markedly increased the school’s endowment and assets. He wrote his proposed book about the Mechanics Institute early in his tenure. According to his secretary at the time, Helen Burson Thomas, Ellingson wrote the proposed book with the expectation that Dr. W.W. Charters, who was a consultant on curriculum revision at the time, would write the final draft of the book. The Mark Ellingson proposed Book about Mechanics Institute gives a history of the Mechanics Institute and its students, as well as information about the institute’s relationship with its community, the programs offered, curriculum information, statistics on enrollment and policies and procedures.
1 Item(s) (One flat box )
Unpublished manuscript by Mark Ellingson on the history of the Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute, the objectives of the institute, information on programs and courses offered and institutional policies through 1937.
Collection consists of one manuscript, contained in its' original binder and housed in an archival box.
C.S. South, Shelf 544
Finding aid created by Emily Kolenberg in July 2012.
- Administrative records
- Manuscripts (document genre)
- Mechanics Institute (Rochester, N.Y.) -- History
- Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute -- Curricula
- Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute -- History
- Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute -- Planning
- Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute -- Students
- Rochester Institute of Technology -- Presidents
- Universities and colleges -- New York (State) -- Rochester -- History
- Unpublished manuscript by Mark Ellingson
- RIT Archives
- Emily Kolenberg
- 06 July 2012
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note