RIT Alumni Association promotional materials
Scope and Contents
- circa 2005
Conditions Governing Access
Biographical / Historical
Although the college did not have a formal alumni group until 1912, graduates of RAMI did plan reunion activities prior to this date. At the time of the Alumni Association's founding, it was common for individual departments to organize reunion dinners and events or coordinate their own alumni organizations. Carleton B. Gibson, RAMI's President from 1910-1916, suggested that a more formal association be created. When the Alumni Association was formed in 1912, the June dinner was set to be an annual reunion event and meeting for members of the association. The group's stated objectives were:
To promote in every way the interests of the graduates, to become a means through which they may offer a united moral support to the Institute, and to encourage industrious and enthusiastic school life among the under-graduates.
The Alumni Association grew vastly over the years. When the organization was founded in 1912, it had 200 members. By 1966 the group had 18,000 members and by 2007 the organization had reached the 100,000 member mark. Part of this growth can be attributed to the fact that the association initially charged membership dues. The elimination of these dues, along with the automatic enrollment of eligible members and changed eligibility requirements undoubtedly contributed to the association's growth. However, this dramatic increase is also a testament to the expanding presence of the Institute as a whole.
In addition to annual gatherings, the Alumni Association provided many opportunities to its members and the college. All members received a copy of the official Alumni Association publication, News and Views. Additionally, alumni received invitations to special events including Homecoming; on-campus privileges such as access to the library and athletic facility; free admission to events such as Alumni Basketball Night and Ice Night; and discounts on a variety of services such as travel tours and insurance. The Alumni Association also provided graduates with access to RIT's Central [Job] Placement Services.
In 1942, an Alumni Development Fund was established. Since this time, the association has served as one of RIT's largest contributors. The group helped fund the college's move to a new campus in Henrietta in 1968 and contributed to the various Anniversary campaign funds. Additionally, the Alumni Association provided scholarships to students starting in 1967.
The Alumni Association is still an active force in the RIT community. The organization continues to serve RIT's alumni population, while helping to support the college and its mission.
1 Linear Feet (1 Clamshell box)
- RIT Alumni Association promotional materials
- RIT Archives
- Amy Vilz
- 28 November 2011
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note