Skip to main content

Henry Lomb Society pin

 Collection — Carton: 1
Identifier: RITArc-0307

Scope and Contents

The small gold pin is engraved with "Henry Lomb Society." The pin belonged to Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics student Winifred Philleo. Philleo graduated in 1917 from the Domestic Science department. An active student, she was involved in the YWCA, Student Council, Wellington Club, Question staff, and served as class secretary.

Dates

  • 1917

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open to researchers.

Biographical / Historical

The Henry Lomb Society (1916-1936) was created in 1916 to recognize students of the Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute who excelled in "scholarship, personality, [and] service to the school." The first class of eighteen members was inducted in 1916 in the assembly hall of the Eastman building where it was announced that each member would be awarded a pin designed by the fine arts department. Although the original members were selected from the senior class, alumni who performed "notable work" could be chosen for membership up to three years after graduation.

The Society was named for Captain Henry Lomb (1828-1908), co-founder of Bausch & Lomb. Although Lomb emigrated from Germany in 1849, he chose to serve in the U.S. Civil War in 1861 with the New York State Volunteers. His dedication and performance earned him the rank of Sergeant, Lieutenant, and ultimately Captain. Following the war, Lomb returned to Rochester, NY where he took an active interest in supporting the city. For instance, he helped organize and finance the Rochester Public Health Association. In 1885, Lomb co-founded the Mechanics Institute, which ultimately became the Rochester Institute of Technology. He died in 1908 and is buried in Mount Hope Cemetery in Rochester, NY.

In 1933 it was decided that the Henry Lomb Society would stop acting as an independent entity and be absorbed by the Mechanics Institute administration. To that end, the constitution was suspended and all activities were turned over to the administration. At a meeting on March 28, 1936, the Mechanics Institute's Policy Committee decided that the Society should be abolished altogether. The Society's activities were gradually lessened and publicity for the organization ceased.

Extent

1 Item(s) (1 File box)

Language

English

Overview

Henry Lomb Society pin belonging to Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute (RAMI) student Winifred Philleo. The Henry Lomb Society (1916-1936) was created in 1916 to recognize outstanding RAMI students.

Arrangement

Collection consists of one item.

Physical Location

C.S. South, East wall, Shelf E82

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Accession number(s): 07:113

The Henry Lomb Society pin was donated to the RIT Archives by Winifred Philleo's son Gordon McPherson in December 2007.

Related Materials

Dimensions

Pin measures .5 x .5 inches.
Title
Henry Lomb Society pin
Subtitle
RIT Archives
Status
Published
Author
Amy Vilz
Date
16 November 2011
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the RIT Archive Collections Repository

Contact:
RIT Libraries
Wallace Center
90 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester NY 14623 USA
(585) 475-4613