Skip to main content

RIT Women's Residence Halls collection

 Collection — Folder: 1-4
Identifier: RITArc-0188

Scope and Contents

The RIT Women's Residence Halls collection consists of materials related to the women's dormitories at the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT). Most of the items in the collection are from the residence halls located at RIT's city campus. In 1968, the college relocated from the city of Rochester, NY to the suburbs of Henrietta. The collection includes promotional materials such as brochures and informational booklets. There are also several miscellaneous items such as a list of rules, proposed objectives for the halls, and a proposal for extended curfew hours. Several clippings about specific residence halls are located at the end of the collection. Materials relating to the Kate Gleason Hall were added at a later date.

Dates

  • 1920-1969

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open to researchers.

Historical Information: Women's Residence Halls at RIT

Although RIT can trace its origins back to the founding of the Rochester Athenaeum in 1829, the modern form of the institution was created in 1891 when the Rochester Athenaeum merged with the newly formed Mechanics Institute (founded 1885). The university started as a way to train individuals for careers in the dominant fields in Rochester, NY's manufacturing industry. As a result, most of the school's first students were local residents. However, as the school began to grow, an increasing number of students came from areas other than the city, creating a need for student housing.

The first residence hall available to women was the converted Jenkinson Apartment building, referred to as 102 Spring Street. Then, around 1940, the school purchased the Fontanec Apartments and converted them into the Kate Gleason Residence. Kate Gleason Hall could house approximately 150 students and was used until the campus was relocated from the city of Rochester to the town of Henrietta. One motivation for the move was that the city's inner loop was to be constructed through the middle of RIT's campus. Once the campus was moved to Henrietta, Kate Gleason Hall was destroyed to make room for the inner loop.

Extent

4 Folder(s)

Language

English

Overview

Collection of materials related to the women's residence halls at the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT), particular those on the old city campus. The collection includes promotional materials, policies, proposals, stated objectives, and clippings.

Arrangement

The collection is arranged by materials type and then in chronological order.

Physical Location

C.S. North, Shelf 319 (Residence halls collections)

Processing Information

Finding aid created by Lara Nicosia in June 2011.
Title
RIT Women's Residence Halls collection
Subtitle
RIT Archives
Status
Published
Author
Lara Nicosia
Date
20 June 2011
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the RIT Archives Repository

Contact:
Rochester NY 14623 USA
(585) 475-4613