Skip to main content

RIT Women's Residence Hall Association records

 Collection — Folder: 1-2
Identifier: RITArc-0185

Scope and Contents

The RIT Women's Residence Hall Association records consist of promotional materials, constitutions, and a visitors' book. The promotional materials provide information on the residence halls to new students at the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT). There are several copies of the group's constitution dating from 1953-1966. The collection also includes a visitors' book that was signed by guests during various functions between 1946 and 1950. Some of these events include the dedication of Kate Gleason Hall and several faculty teas.

Dates

  • 1946-1966

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open to researchers.

Biographical / Historical

It is unclear when the first Residence Hall Association at the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) was formed; however, there is mention of such an organization as early as 1950. Although RIT can trace its origins back to the founding of the Rochester Athenaeum in 1829, the modern form of the institution was created in 1891 when the Rochester Athenaeum merged with the newly formed Mechanics Institute (founded 1885). The university started as a way to train individuals for careers in the dominant fields in Rochester, NY's manufacturing industry. As a result, most of the school's first students were local residents. However, as the school began to grow, an increasing number of students came from areas other than the city, creating a need for student housing.

The first residence hall available to women was the converted Jenkinson Apartment building, referred to as 102 Spring Street. Then, around 1940, the school purchased the Fontanec Apartments and converted them into the Kate Gleason Residence. Kate Gleason Hall could house approximately 150 students and was used until the campus was relocated from the city of Rochester to the town of Henrietta. One motivation for the move was that the city's inner loop was to be constructed through the middle of RIT's campus. Once the campus was moved to Henrietta, Kate Gleason Hall was destroyed to make room for the inner loop.

Originally, each residence hall had its own Residence Hall Association. Students living in a hall elected representatives to the Association for year-long terms. These elected individuals represented the interests of the students living in the residence hall to RIT's administration, as well as the greater RIT community. Additionally, the group helped plan events and activities such as dances and open house socials. According to the Kate Gleason Hall's Residence Hall Association's constitution (circa 1953), the group had the following powers:

  • Power to enact and enforce laws to maintain quit, order, and conformance to accepted standards of citizenship in the Residence Hall
  • Power to control and operate Residence Hall activities in accordance with Institute procedures
  • Power to change the Constitution, except for changes involving extension of power within this grant.
  • Extent

    2 Folder(s)

    Language

    English

    Overview

    Materials related to the Rochester Institute of Technology's (RIT) Women's Residence Hall Association and its activities. The collection includes promotional materials, constitutions, and a visitors' book from several group functions.

    Arrangement

    The collection is arranged by type.

    Physical Location

    C.S. North, Shelf 319 (Residence halls collections)

    Processing Information

    Finding aid created by Lara Nicosia in June 2011.
    Title
    RIT Women's Residence Hall Association records
    Subtitle
    RIT Archives
    Status
    Published
    Author
    Lara Nicosia
    Date
    15 June 2011
    Description rules
    Describing Archives: A Content Standard
    Language of description
    Undetermined
    Script of description
    Code for undetermined script
    Language of description note
    English

    Repository Details

    Part of the RIT Archives Repository

    Contact:
    Rochester NY 14623 USA
    (585) 475-4613